History is having an indicative of easiness UPSC IAS Exam preparation.
The History is the weightiest subject which offers the details of past. It is combined with culture too.
With just history aspirants can gather information on the existence of life.
Those with good familiarity with history, can very much easily get through the UPSC IAS examination.
The History paper in the Main Exam of importance knowing the facts about historical happenings.
History is very critical part of UPSC preparation.
History is separated into Ancient History, Medieval History, and Modern History.
Below are the important history books for prelims. Aimed for prelims NCERT is more than enough.
The NCERT includes the complete syllabus in an extensive manner.
Together with the NCERT, aspirants can check through A Brief History of Modern India for systematic understanding.
Answering previous year question paper will also improve the history preparation.
- A Brief History of Modern India – Spectrum (modern history books for UPSC)
- NCERT Class XI Modern India – Bipan Chandra
- NCERT Class XI Medieval India – Satish Chandra (one of the best book on medieval Indian history for UPSC)
- NCERT Class XI Ancient India – RS Sharma (Ancient India book for UPSC)
- NCERT Class XII Theme in Indian History- I
- NCERT Class XII Theme in Indian History- II
- NCERT Class XII Theme in Indian History- III
- Class XI Tamil Nadu History Textbook (Tamil Nadu books for UPSC)
- Class XII Tamil Nadu History Textbook
- NCERT Class XI an Introduction to Indian Art
- NCERT Class XI Living Crafts Traditions of India
- NCERT Class XI Crafts Tradition of India
Best history book for IAS Mains/Best book for Indian history for IAS exam
- History books for UPSC mains:
- History of Modern World – Jain and Mathur
- Mastering Modern World History -Norman Lowe
- India After Gandhi – Ramchandra Guha
- India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra (regarded by some as the best book for modern Indian history for UPSC)
- History Of Modern India – Bipan Chandra (best book for Modern History for UPSC)
- Indian Art and Culture – Nitin Singhania
- India’s Ancient Past – RS Sharma (Ancient History book for UPSC exam)
- The Wonder That Was India – A.L. Basham (Ancient History book for UPSC exam)
- From Plassey to Partition: A History of Modern India.
Best history books for UPSC IAS Mains optional
Understanding and getting into the bottom of history catch your attention. The applicants should go for optional as per interest. It includes no concepts, philosophies, and schemes. What they need to do is keep in mind the dates and events.
When the optional subject for UPSC IAS Mains Exam is history, it is required to have a detailed data on the subject. The below-mentioned books will be in aid for UPSC IAS mains optional preparation.
- A New Look at Modern Indian History From 1707 to the Modern Times- Alka Mehta and B L Grover S
- Mastering Modern World History- Norman Lowe (Best book for World History UPSC)
- The Penguin History Of Early India: From The Origins To AD 1300- Romila Thapar
- Age of Revolution 1789-1848- Eric Hobsbawm
- History of Medieval India- Satish Chandra (Medieval history book for UPSC exam)
- History Of Modern India- Bipan Chandra
- India’s Ancient Past- Ram Sharan Sharma
- Modern Indian History- Bipan Chandra
- Age of Capital: 1848-1875 (History of Civilization)- Eric Hobsbawm